Thursday, July 12, 2012

How to Knit

For the past 2 days I've been babysitting 2 little boys. The same 2 little boys from this post.  I've also been working on a knitting project that I started MONTHS ago and never really got around to finishing.  The boys were AMAZED at the fact that I could make a scarf that fast and asked me to teach them which is when I realize a lot of people probably don't realize just how easy knitting is. So I figured I would show you... or try to at least.


Step 1: Your First Row


To make your first row you wrap the yarn around your fingers to make a loop and stick the needle through the loop.  The first loop will have to be tied in a knot to keep it from unraveling.  The more loops you make the thicker your scarf will be.  I like to stick with an even number (10-14) so I don't lose track of how many loops I have.


Step 2: Second Row


In the words of my sewing teacher in high school,  Stab somebody else, Go around the hill, Stab yourself, Fall off the hill.  (This doesn't make sense unless you knew her.  I realize that.)


So, first, you want to make sure you are holding the full needle in your left hand and the empty needle in your right hand.


Stab somebody else:  Put your right needle through the top loop on the left needle.


Go around the hill: Wrap the extra length of yarn around the right needle and through the middle.


Stab yourself:  Take the right needle down through the loop overtop of the yarn you just passed through the middle.


Fall of the hill: Push the loop off the edge of the left needle.


REPEAT until you have all the loops on the right needle.  Switch hands so that the full needle is in your left hand.


After repeating for a long while you'll end up with something that looks like this.






Happy Knitting! ( Questions? Feel free to comment!)

No comments: