Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Operation Troop Appreciation

I don't usually post stuff about my life... alright, on occasion I do... but usually it's for a legitimate reason (or because I'm being lazy and haven't done anything crafty recently.)  I volunteer, in my free time, for a non-profit organization called Operation Troop Appreciation.  






I started volunteering my Freshman year of college (almost 2 year ago... CRAZY) when I found them at a mall near my hometown getting Christmas cards signed for the troops who were overseas and couldn't be with their families for Christmas.  I wanted to help, so the following Friday (Black Friday) they had me help out at the table getting Christmas cards signed.  I never realized until that day how much people just DON'T care.


Seriously, signing a Christmas card is free.  We take donations but we don't require them.  Is it that difficult to take 2 seconds and write your name?  I'm not nearly as naive as I used to be and I now understand why it's so easy for people to pass up something like this. 


Less than 1% of America's population knows someone serving in the military.  That's a ridiculous number considering 1% of Americans actually serve in the military.  1% of the people in this country fight and die for the rights of the other 99% and yet nobody can find the time to sign a simple Christmas card?  It just frustrates me to no end.


I was trying not to turn this into a rant but apparently I did... Sorry.  Today, while volunteering I received 2 HUGE donation drop-offs.  Restores my faith in humanity a little bit.


I no longer expect people to want to donate, or even sign a Christmas card.  I just want people to know that the people the cards are for are the one's who give them the right to choose.


So for anyone that actually cares about my rant... Operation Troop Appreciation sends care packages to troops serving overseas.  The send everything from snacks, to movies, to tactical gear, even socks!  If you want to help out you can check them out here


Thank you to all our military past, present, and future!

No comments: