Saturday, June 30, 2012

Working in Retail

So I have this new theory.  I work in an outlet store as a sales associate and I've been working in retail for almost 4 years now.  If there's anything I've learned, it's that people who shop are the laziest individuals in the world.  I don't care if you can't fold the clothes back exactly how you found them because, honestly, 90% of the time neither can I.  BUT if you can pick something up you can put it back in somewhat the same way you found it rather than just throwing it on top of the pile.


(I need to end my rant here or I'll spend an entire post talking about all of the things customers do that I can't stand.)  

Back to my theory.  I think that all people should be required to work for AT LEAST a week in a retail store as a sales associate (preferably at Christmas time) so they can understand what it's like to refold the same pile of clothes over and over again because someone can't be bothered to ask for help in getting a size or rather just doesn't care that there is a person who has been working on that perfectly neat pile for 20 minutes and goes through and destroys it.

If people understood this, and used this knowledge to become better consumers, sales associates could spend less time folding and refolding the same pile of clothes and actually help people find what they're looking for.  Think about it.  Shorter lines, a neater store, easier time in finding the items you want, and best of all lower prices because they wouldn't have to pay as many people.

Who agrees?

No comments: