Tuesday, June 26, 2012

No Shopping Challenge

Starting today (June 26) I will be starting a "No-spend" Month.  I'm a college student who is supposed to be saving money for my rent in the fall and (hopefully) some extra "play" money.  Notice I said supposed to be... I recently used about $1200 from my savings to pay off my credit card bill and have been trying to replace the money ever since.  However, when you're a fashion major who works in an outlet mall and you have an AMAZING employee discount it's a bit difficult to save money.  I would says 80% of my paychecks are spent on clothing every month the rest goes towards gas and coffee.  I have an obsession with finding good deals and if there is an insane deal I almost always take full advantage.  So, in an effort to save as much money as possible before I have to start paying for rent and groceries in the Fall again, I've decided to participate in Frugal Beautiful's "30- Day- No- Shopping" Challenge.

My rules:
  • No purchases except gas and necessities.
  • Gift cards and free coupons can be used. (I have 2 free Starbucks drinks waiting... woohoo!)
  • Anything that needs deposited for my apartment can be paid for (that's a time sensitive thing and I have a roommate relying on me.)
  • Grocery purchases must not exceed $30 for the entire month. Since I'm living at home I don't need to be buying groceries anyway. I can deal with my Mom's food.
Reward:
  • A plane ticket to visit my boyfriend in September! This kind of defeats the purpose of saving money but I figure I'll have enough money to pay for my apartment AND the plane ticket if I actually stick to all of my rules!

I'll keep you all updated with how it's going! Ready, Set, Save!

No comments: